Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the beginning of my kyphi (kapet) process...




The favorite scent of Egyptians was Kyphi. On a daily basis, the ritualized burning of incense in ancient Egypt consisted of frankincense in the morning, myrrh during the day, and Kapet (Kyphi from the Greek translation) in the evening.




According to Egyptologists, Kyphi played an important role as a sacred fragrance in many ceremonies. It was also believed Kyphi could revive the dead and was placed in tombs of kings to enjoy in the afterlife. It was highly prized, had many expensive ingredients, and required a lengthy and specialized process to create it.
This is the beginning of the process, the way it was passed down to me. I don't know if I'll document the entire process, as it is sacred to my family. I have begun by using golden currents,
a spiced red wine, cardamom, both ground and whole, cinnamon, both ground and whole, and juniper berries. 11 other ingredients will be added along the process which takes 30 days. Many recipes claim you can create this overnight...you can't. I highly enjoy this process, it is meditative and strengthens my connection to me deities. I hope you enjoy the process and the finished sacred incense that will be available for purchase at my shop www.ConjuredCardea.etsy.com

3 comments:

  1. That looks like it will be so wonderfully fragrant. Will it be available in your shop for purchase?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fascinating! Im so glad you have a blog, I look forward to learning lots! Cheers, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! it is available here;
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/62357217/3-kyphi-incense-spheres-with-charcoal

    thanks for reading folks! bless!

    ReplyDelete